Last Sunday’s first session visiting day drew a large crowd to the farm. The two things I heard most often from parents grandparents were:
The farm is beautiful
Can we have your recipes for pickles and eggplant salad?
So, as promised . . .
Ivy’s Famous Eggplant Salad
- One large eggplant (or two small ones)
- One red onion
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Pierce the eggplant several times with a knife.
Place on a baking pan or dish and bake until soft and wrinkles
Allow to cool a bit
Slice in half and scoop out the inside
Chop to desired consistency (or use a food processor)
Combine with other ingredients and place in glass jar with lid.
Marinate in the refrigerator for 2-3 days
Alan’s Famous Refrigerator Garlic Pickles
- Any veggies you would like (cut up or not)
- In a 1-gallon glass jar, place all your veggies to the top. (Adjust quantities for smaller jars.)
- 5 tablespoons kosher salt
- 5 cloves of garlic cut up
- 1 tablespoon mixed whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon of celery flakes or seeds
- 1 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 sliced onion
Place all ingredients in jar and fill with water to the top (no air)
Refrigerate for 2-3 days
I urge you to experiment/modify both recipes. (For dill pickles, add dill weed.)